The Rings - Phase III - Glue And A Big Mess?

Well, here is Part III of this aggrevation and misery and ways to not ruin, but devastate my aching back and knees.

We need to cut rings from 1/4" Baltic Birch and prep everything prior to gluing.

The effect we want when done is this.

The Top Ring, (3) layers of 3/4" ply, will attach to The Domer and keep it round and the base of The Domer flat. It will have a 1" groove milled into it for the wheels to ride in.

The Middle Ring is thin and its sole purpose is to hold the wheels in a slot, vertical and in place between the Top and Bottom Rings.

The Bottom Ring is (2) layers of 3/4" ply and will support the Domer and tie the (12) wall panels into a cohesive structure. It will have a 1" groove milled into it for the wheels to ride in.

 

Half done with the first sheet, we attach it to a fresh 4x8' sheet of ply.

 

All done with the first panel. The cut into the corner will not matter as it will trim square.

 

A pile of segments.

 

Like, Duuh, if the holes are getting sloppy, add some more wood and use two bits instead of one to make the task easier.

 

The 3/4" is all done and gone.

 

(5) Stacks of segments.

 

Now we need to mark the other end and we will make a jig.

 

This will index the end already trimmed.

 

This will support the bottom.

 

And, we mark the opposite end. This will give us a circumfrence for this segment of 50.5".

The segments for the Middle and Lower Rings will be 50" exactly.

 

I played with the groove and wheels. This is 5/8" deep and is almost too deep. I will guage this further as I actually make the grooves in the rings.

 

We place screws in the center and outward every 8".

 

I made marks 1/2" in from the end. This feels about right.

 

We make little dots for the screws to be located at.

Qstn. How do we easily make the screws tangent to the edge?

Easy. Use the end of a finished segment and align both pieces with care. The ends are tangent to the circle.

 

The screws in place. They extend a bit on the bottom side. By carefully aligning both pieces and using a rubber hammer, we will locate where all (14) screws go for each segment.

Btw, the jig was also used for the Middle and Bottom Layer 3/4" ply as well. Hardly any differnece which was surprising.

 

The Setup

 

The marks after bashing the pattern.

 

The Bashing Equipment.

 

Now to drill 14 x 6 x 4 = 336 holes. And do it again for the 1/4" ply segments.

 

By drilling into a sacrifice board, the bottom of the holes are not all chipped up and do not require any sanding.

 

Clean!

 

Once again, all done with this part.

 

Annie, in a familiar pose.

 

She is actually looking for me. I must be making too much noise for her naps.

 

Setup for the 1/4" ply. I placed a segment under the sheet at the end of the table for support and needed to weight down this end so it did not fall out of the shallow hole.

 

Here is the business end.

These segments were real easy to trim out. One pass.

 

More Tools of Torture.

 

No wonder the segments had gaps and issues. Way too much variance. I marked and trimmed all of them. I did not have this problem with the 3/4" pieces.

 

The Bottom Ring glued and screwed

 

I use lotsa glue and coat each surface with a roller. Gotta work fast!

 

All done ready for a wash.

 

I only wiped the glue of the upper and lower surfaces. Did not slob too much water here and there.

Big, is it not?

 

All the screws, nice and neat.

 

Wow! Lotsa hole here.

 

If your holes look like this, the chips have to be sanded off.

 

Here is how I pulled the segments into circular fashion. These are 2/2's and the strap goes around them. Do not tighten too much so the whole thing flies apart, but I did snug it up pretty well. Using lotsa glue means the pieces can be adjusted and aligned with each other fairly easily.

This really makes it easy to make a circular piece round - not egg-shaped.

 

A close up

 

Two done and drying.

 

For the Middle Ring, we need to drill a 1/4" hole for the axle for the wheels. A drill press, even a modest one, works pretty well for this. I placed (15) not (16) wheels every 20" apart. Making certain not to place an axle where the screws may run thru the hole.

(16) wheels would have made the 20" 18 3/4". 20" was just easier to calculate and mark etc.

 

The homemade jig and clamps.

 

Three rings, all done and in bed for the night.

So, how did I do.

The Top Ring is 96 1/2" on one side and 96 3/8" on the other.

The Middle Ring is 95 1/8" on one side and 95 3/8" on the other. This ring was really hard to handle and get right.

The Bottom Ring is 95 1/2" no matter where I check it.

+++

Next, will be to grind off the glue on the edges, even up any segments slightly out of place, round the edges with the router, cut the slots for the wheels in the Middle Segment and, figure out How In This World to make two tracks easily and accurately.

(To Be Continued)